This blog is part of a series inspired by our “Basics Checklist: The 33 Wardrobe Items You MUST Own”. Get in on the fun and download your free copy.
Personal Style is a term we refer to a lot at Fling Fashions; on the website, on our Facebook page, and in our Basics Checklist. But what is it? What does Personal Style mean?
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.” – Richard Eberhart
Personal Style is the base style in your closet that represents YOU. If you stripped out all of the trends, the items you keep for sentimental reasons, and the too big/small clothes, the items that you wear day-to-day reflect your Personal Style. That is represented in your closet by your Basics; the building blocks of your closet. They are the pieces that are timeless, not trendy.
“Fashion is what you adopt when you don’t know who you are.” -Quentin Crisp
If you’ve audited your closet, you might have found that your Basics are in need of updating. Perhaps you’ve found that a lot of what you have is ill-fitting or in bad shape. Or maybe you have found that your Basics don’t really represent you anymore. Rebuilding your Basics gives you the opportunity to redefine yourself and how you present yourself to those around you. So the question is, how DO you want the world to see you?
“Clothes are never a frivolity; they always mean something.” – James Laver
Before you head out to purchase new Basics, it’s important to determine what you want those Basics to convey about you. Here are a few tips to help you cement your Personal Style:
- Pull out your favorite article of clothing. What do you like about it? How does it make you feel?
- Think of a time you felt empowered? What were you wearing?
- Think about your favorite colors. Which ones look best on you, and make you FEEL your best?
- Think of people whose style you admire. What do you like about their look?
- Think about your lifestyle. What types of clothes fit best with your day-to-day life?
Once you have a good feel for your Personal Style, it’s time to get inspired to find the exact pieces you want & need to re-build your wardrobe. These are some of our favorite resources!
- Pinterest – Build boards for items you want to add to your wardrobe, and for inspirational images.
- Instagram – catalog pics of your looks, and follow stores and other people for style inspiration and sales!
- Polyvore: Mix and match your Basics to create more outfit choices, and find other pieces that work for your style.
- Stylebook App: Mix and match straight from your closet, and test out new pieces to see if they fit in your wardrobe.
Remember, defining your style is a process. It won’t happen overnight, and you’ll constantly be tweaking and perfecting it. Enjoy the process and don’t get discouraged!